The Global Debt Creator

Don’t Read this if You Borrow Money from Banks, Read if You’re an Investor!

Today, we’re about to tackle the perennial question? Is it really good to borrow money from banks such as, for example, getting a simple credit card?

From a macro perspective (if all people got themselves credit cards), there would a surprising revelation that would come out from that.

The creation and the exponential growth of digital money.

Digital money is real (and I’m not just talking about cryptocurrencies) and it’s been here for decades. And knowing about digital money might change your mind from a habitual bank borrower to a productive investor.

The documentary 97% Owned, produced by a British company Positive Money, deals with how 97% of the money in the world does not exist. The basis of the film comes from how British banking systems operate, with numerous similarities drawn in the U.S, both follow the same financial principles.

The film points out how paper money and coin only comprise 3% of the money circulating in Britain. The other 97% is created digitally—or they are numbers that exist in computers only.

Digital currencies are created when banks generate loans (in any form). In reality, banks do not necessarily have the reserves to compensate for the loans they make. Rather, money is artificially made by simply entering the amount of the loan on a computer.

We don’t really know how banks distribute the money because of their lack of transparency and they have the right to withhold information on how they really work.

The digital creation of money points to only one direction, one consequence: Debt Creation. This leads to the rich getting richer (because they offer more interest-laden loans) and the poor, poorer (as they become more dependent on credit). Digital money is not illegal. In fact, it is not even frowned upon. The government even resorts to it to make enough of it to keep the circulation of money going. The cycle of money being borrowed and being lent is the lifeblood of the economy. What is frowned upon is when people shore up their savings and keep it locked up for future use.

The documentary also points out that it is essentially impossible for governments to reduce their debts without taking money out of circulation and cause a recession. The fear is that the Philippines could undergo the same stress, where tax increases would cause a domino effect through inflation and lead to deflation.

In effect, the only practical way the government can increase its money supply is to sell government bonds to big investment banks. Or they could resort to quantitative easing where the government creates digital money themselves. They do this by buying treasury bonds or private bank assets. Government borrowing or quantitative easing (or both) were the solutions that the World Economic Forum recommended to prevent the collapse of the world economy in 2008.

When a financial system depends on debt creation it has already opened the Pandora’s Box of wealth inequality. The documentary is right to the point that such an unchecked system is the leading cause of the poor becoming poorer and the rich, richer. So we’re talking about a disturbing level in inequity of social justice among the public.

The most vulnerable victims are those in the low and middle-income class. Low and middle-income workers also suffer the most from tax increases enacted to reduce government debt or pursue national projects

Various studies have shown that wealth owned by the richest 1% has doubled since the beginning of the digital age. On the other hand, income inequality has skyrocketed nearly as fast because of globalization. The top 1 percent of rich own more wealth than the bottom 95 percent of the population; while the total wealth of the top 60 percent of people is 500 times the total wealth of the bottom 40 percent.

With these numbers, there is clear evidence that there is a tremendous gap between the rich, the poor, and the middle class created because the lower classes become tied up with the financial engine made to do constant debt creation.

Worse, there is no indication that this trend is stopping. The well off is becoming better off, while the middle and the lower groups are struggling.

So here”s the kicker, what makes the top 1% different from the rest of us–or to put it more mildly, what makes the rich stand out from the middle and lower class.

The answer is more investing, less borrowing. They put money in interest-bearing instruments and avoid getting money that incurs interest against them.

Digital money is here. And that is bad news for borrowers. Because this tells them that, from a macro perspective, they’re contributing to global wealth inequality.

But then again, this is good news for investors and would-be investors because this tells them that money can be made virtually everywhere and can be limitless.

The only question is: where do you want to belong?